6 percent word problems. 3 Given percent and total, find part. 3 Given percent and part, find total. Answers provided.
For each problem first identify the part, identify the total and identify the percent. One of them will be missing, this will be what you are solving for.
1. In a recent survey, 15 skydivers said that they have never had a skydiving accident. This was 60% of the total number of skydivers that were surveyed. What was the total number of skydivers surveyed?
2. Last year, 39,506 students applied to Harvard University. 5.2% of those students were accepted. How many students did Harvard University accept last year?
3. The University of Minnesota women’s hockey team won 63% of their games this season. Since they won 24 games, how many total games did they play this season?
4. In 2012, 47% of all reported sports concussions happened during high school football. If there were 1,786,000 concussions reported during high school football, how many total concussions were reported in 2012?
5. Sales tax in Minnesota is about 7%. If you purchase an item for $25, how much will you have to pay for the sales tax?
6. Joe’s Sport Shop had an end of winter sale where everything in the store was 60% off. How much did a $300 item cost?